This is a 90-day unpaid position (by 4 quarters/terms) allowing one to gain experience in the zoological field. Job duties include cleaning, diet preparation, light maintenance, educational tours, etc. Interns are responsible for the daily care of a number of exotic feline species including, but not limited to: tigers, lions, leopards, pumas and bobcats. This wide variety of training provides the intern with an exciting array of new skills and experiences. Training is provided by the staff.
· You must be at least 20 years of age
· You must have 2 years of college study in a related field (biology, zoology, wildlife management, ecology, etc.) or at least 1 year of job experience in a related field (vet clinic, zoo, etc) or 3-years of verifiable job experience in an unrelated field
· You must maintain or have maintained at least an overall average of 3.0.
· Some animal care experience preferred
· You must be capable of lifting up to 60 lbs and in good health
· You must be drug free
· We are looking for individuals who are hardworking, dedicated and self motivated
When Are These Internships Offered?
There are four internships offered during the year:
· Winter Term: November - February (Application Deadline August 1st each year)
· Spring Term: February - May (Application Deadline November 1st each year)
· Summer Term: May - August (Application Deadline February 1st each year)
· Fall Term: August - November (Application Deadline May 1st each year)
· You should hear about the status of your application within 3-4 weeks after the deadline.
· Applications are accepted year-round for all terms. Preference will be given to those received by the application deadlines; however, applications received after the deadline may still be considered if the positions have not yet been filled.
Detailed Description of Intern Duties
· The interns will be working full-time Monday through Saturday, with light duties on Sunday
· All interns will undergo training on safety procedures, crisis management, Class 1 Animal Care, and behavioral target training
· Animal Care: Interns will be involved in the daily care of the animals upon completing training including: food preparation, feeding techniques, cleaning, light maintenance of the enclosures, and grounds, etc.
· All interns will be involved in Public Education involving daily public tours and educational programs
What Does Tiger Creek Provide?
· Housing (house is fully furnished, bedding and towels provided)
· TV, DVD, Satellite System and Internet Access.
· Uniform shirt
· Materials, Curriculum and Training
· Intern Vehicle (If you did not bring your own car)
What Do I As An Intern Provide?
· Travel Arrangements to and from Tiger Creek (If flying, you will enter at Tyler Airport and we will pick you up)
· Your own meals
· Hiking/work boots, work pants
· Spending Money
· Work clothes for ~1 week (it takes about a week for your uniforms to come in)
· During winter months (Nov-March) you will need gloves and a coat or long sleeves to layer under your uniform
· Rain gear
To Apply For The Internship You Must Provide:
· Cover letter, including an explanation of your previous experience, why you want to intern here at Tiger Creek, and what your career goals are for the future
· Recent Photo
· Proof of a current tetanus shot (within 3 years)
Download the Big Cat Internship Application
· This program does not include DIRECT CONTACT with big cats!
· DIRECT Contact is defined as: any physical contact with any animal, including cage contacts (reaching of limbs through gate openings, chain link), etc.
· These animals are not pets and if that is what you are looking for then you should consider an internship somewhere else.
· Only the Park Management is authorized to allow any direct or indirect contact and that requires either DIRECT SUPERVISION and/or TRAINING.
· DIRECT SUPERVISION is defined as: "in person" or as in a "physical presence of a manager." This means that a manager must PHYSICALLY be in YOUR presence and/or authorize the occurrence.
· ANY and ALL VIOLATIONS involving direct PHYSICAL contact with the big cats is subject to immediate dismissal from the property under escort by local law enforcement, security, or management!
· Due to insurance reasons and the welfare of the big cats there are NO exceptions to this policy!
· Safety of the animals and the staff must always come first over personal needs or wants.
To learn more about Tyler Texas visit the area on-line.
For additional questions or comments, please see the FAQ Section, or the Contact Us page.